Thursday 17 May 2012

Your Time Can Never Be Truly Wasted


A black hole as seen in space and also from my desk
Ok, so I understand that when you are a small business starting up, you will ultimately get involved in a range of tasks.  The black hole that I have discovered is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation).  You start off with your website, which everyone tells you is not optimised ('Really' - said in a sarcastic tone).

You then move on to creating content, interesting articles, ideas, recipes, advice, anything that might be of interest to the community of people you would ultimately like to buy your products.  As you have already guessed, our is nuts.


Meanwhile, forget previous buzz words like: dot com, recession, apps, angry birds......are already old news.  Business is now generated through Social Media Marketing.


Then a friend says that we should really get into Pinterest (Aaaahhhhhhh!, I'm only just beginning to understand Facebook and Twitter, and am still not entirely sure I'm using the #tag properly).
Anyway, I finally get invited to join Pinterest (that's right you have be invited), and now the Pandora's Box of the world known as Infographics is open.  At least this is how Infographics were introduced to me.
I then decide that a new infographic on nuts is needed.  
So where do I start.  I found this: Free Tools For Infographics.  I've tried Many Eyes, Wordle, and Inkscape.  All of which will suck time time like nobody's business.  Having said that I have already created a couple of simple infographics and am currently working on my original plan of the 'Nut infographic'.  I had started using Inkscape and was happily drawing a Pistachio nut in its shell, when suddenly there before me is the infographic you see below:


infographic, pistachio
Pistachio nut resembles Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors
Not quite what I had in mind.



But lets put things into perspective.  On one hand I have a have a huge book sat on my desk, containing the words 'Dummies guide to...' which should tell me all I need to know about SEO etc.  The book measures at least 2 inches deep.  Did I open it to help me with the infographic?... I think not.  Instead I chose to listen to the wise words of my spiritual leader, Yoda.


"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."


Which I interpret as, 'Just get on with it, have a go, make mistakes and end up with an infographic which probably might end up attracting a completely different target audience'.


I have even included an info graphic to illustrate this point (not mine).






For your pleasure I have included a few more special quotes from Master Yoda:

  • When you look at the dark side, careful you must be.  For the dark side looks back.
  • Always pass on what you have learned.
  • In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way.
  • Already know you that which you need.  
  • Luke: I don't believe it.  Yoda: That is why you fail.
  • You will find only what you bring in.


Thank-you Master Yoda, you have let a little light into my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment