Monday 28 May 2012

A Heavenly Combination: WhyNut Pistachios and Chocolate !

In this blog I will briefly take you through my journey of learning to make chocolate at the  Chocolate Academy in Banbury - mind you it was only one day !

If you were lucky :) enough to read my first blog you will remember that 'WhyNut' was born from my desire to introduce Bristish food lovers to 'Antep Pistachio Chocolates'. You might call me a 'pistachio snob' and I couldn't say much in my defense, because I am.  After you get hooked on the real 'Antep Pistachios' from Turkey, no other will do...

I like simple things, like a bar of chocolate with 'roasted pistachios' thrown in. Like the one below made using our very own pistachios!
Pistachio Wild Bar by Artisan du Chocolat

I must admit  I discovered that it was quite easy to make them once I went on this one day course and got over the perception that chocolate making was something other people can master, but not me! Of course I am not talking about the great master chocolatiers, they are a different kind and beyond mere experimenters like me!

Our teacher at the Chocolate Academy was lovely Julie Sharp, and she gave a nice introduction about the different coco beans, where they originate from, how the coco beans are processed and turned into 'couverture'.

Couverture is basically the chocolate that most chocolatiers use to make their own creations (first by melting, cooling and then tempering and bringing to a nice gloopy state at a certain temperature).  Later on she also showed us how to make those swirls and twirls and other wonderful chocolate decoration you see in picture perfect delicacies! Chocolate is an incredibly versatile ingredient, I felt as if I were in the presence of a magician revealing her secrets.

By the use of some coloured coco oils (just adding a thin layer at the bottom of the mould by a few finger strokes) and a raspberry ganache (made by using mainly cream, sugar, raspberry puree) I was able to make the fresh chocolates shown below...

Raspberry Ganache Center Milk Chocolates by Cigdem

It did however take me quite a while - as you have to wait for the chocolates to set in the various stages and I was doing it for the first time.  I must say it wasn't rocket science and quite enjoyable, too!  You just need to love it, and don't worry about the amount of washing and clearing up... Still I am a bit lazy and short on time so would love to be able to buy my bar of chocolate and eat it !
 
Or, if I were looking for something special, I would go for the pistachio paste-filled milk chocolate truffles which are truly amazing!  Lovely crunchy chocolate outside, made with our gooey, delicious pistachio paste inside...A GIFT FROM CHOCOLATE HEAVEN...

Emerald Milk Chocolate Truffle Filled with Pistachio Paste by Artisan du Chocolat          



No comments:

Post a Comment