Thursday 3 May 2012

My name is Doshi and I am not a writer



Those of you familiar with Indian movies will understand how 'witty' the title is, if not see this link if you're interested.  However, my first name is Navita, and I hail from the shores of Guyana in South America (which is nowhere near Africa).  Home of the world renowned Demerara sugar.

I come from Guyana not Ghana

Navita Doshi picture for Whynut
This is me
Having spent copious years in science investigating DNA, the structures DNA is wrapped around, what the said structures like and dislike, etcetera, etcetera,  I then came into possession of a husband, closely followed by one baby girl, and then another.  This was followed by further years entrenched at home with the usual stuff of being a mum.  


But the kids are older now, and when I saw them get out of bed and make their own breakfast, I had my light bulb moment.  It was time to think of what I was going to do with my life.  Science is great and I still love it, but the thought of standing behind a lab bench breathing in sodium butyrate (basically it smells like 'sick') did not fill me with happy thoughts.  

But what to do...the light bulb is gradually dimming...that's it, I need a job that I can fit in during school hours and holidays.   There must be loads of those around.  Guess what?  There aren't any, and those that are, well your friend already has it.
So I did the next best thing, I winged and moaned to anyone that would listen.  Then one day at the kids school guess who overheard me?... Cigdem (owner of WhyNut).
At this stage she was a one-woman show, in need of some help and someone to come with her to Harrogate for an Ice Cream-Expo she was going to be exhibiting at.  I agreed to help her and the rest is history.
Later I tried to explain to my two girls that things will change a little now I am working with Cigdem in her business. I explained what the business is about and how I would help.  They sat for a while, then my eldest says...


"So you're selling Nuts".





1 comment:

  1. You can literally draw a line from Ghana to Guyana. So, although they are not on the same continent. They are close enough. Only Brazil is closer.

    ReplyDelete